Friday, February 13, 2015

Out with the old, in with the new

Is it just me or has this been the best. winter. ever?  And no I do not want to hear about how we won't have any water in the summer... yada yada yada.  I am focusing on the positive here people! :)

I don't know about you guys but I was so happy to say goodbye to 2014.  I routinely just go through the motions of New Years Eve and don't totally put my heart into ringing in the new year.  Maybe it's because I celebrate it at home surrounded my five really tired little people, watching the rest of New York get really excited for a new day, but I just don't really feel it, you know?  That being said...this year I felt it!  I was so happy to start new.  Maybe it was that string of bad luck we had around the holidays (we literally were "out" with all our old appliances and forced into new ones), but I was so pumped to put it all behind me and start fresh.

So did I make any goals?  Yes and no.  I'm trying to leave this year open to a little mystery.  Kind of a feeling of letting the wind take me where it will.  Not being afraid of the dark unknown, but being a light, a force, that the dark is afraid of.

But I also want to be thinner, so...

So I've started a new way of feeding our family and I really want it to stick because it truly is the best way to eat.  Some of you may know that back before I was the super mom I am today with snot on my shirt and house full of toys and chaos, I  had graduated from the University in Nutrition and Health.  These last few months I've been reading up on the best ways to help my family get healthy and based on what I know from before and what I have learned I really do feel like I have found what is best for us.

I have started feeding my family a BUNCH  more fruits and veggies with only a small amount of fish, sometimes chicken, and whole grains.  Sounds easy but it has been a struggle to find new recipes that will fill my family up and make people happy.  So I have decided to post good recipes when I find them and then if anyone else is looking to do the same thing, maybe this will help.

Today I want to share the link to this recipe.  It totally filled up my family when paired with some all natural or homemade tortilla chips and the kids loved it.  My only suggestion is to watch the amount of peppers that you put in.  The first time I made it it was perfect.  The second time, it just about burned our mouths off so be careful, but it's SO good!


ONE PAN MEXICAN QUINOA
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Total Time35 minutes
Yield4 servings
Wonderfully light, healthy and nutritious. And it's so easy to make - even the quinoa is cooked right in the pan!
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapenos, minced
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Make Glazed Baby Carrots with Brown Sugar.
 
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  • Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro.
  • Serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment